Edited by John Sutherland and Marsha Lotstein
No institution has been more important in the history and development of the Jewish community in Connecticut than the synagogue. The petition by Hartford Jews to the legislature in 1843 to amend the State Constitution to permit the public worship of Jews, followed by the prompt enactment of an enabling public act, set in motion the beginning of synagogue building which contributed to the growth of the Jewish community as well as to the architecture of the state. This edition of Connecticut Jewish History is devoted to the history and architectural significance of 46 historic synagogue buildings throughout the state of Connecticut. The complete survey with research notes and photographs of each building is on file at the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford and may be consulted by interested researchers. This important edition of the Jewish Historical Society’s journal serves as a permanent record of many sites that have changed or disappeared, or are in danger of doing so in the future.
Jeffrey H. Kaimowitz received his Ph.D. in Classics from the University of Cincinnati. He has taught at Miami University of Ohio and has worked in the Special Collections Department at the New York Public Library. Currently Dr. Kaimowitz is curator of the Watkinson Library at Trinity College, Hartford.
David F. Ransom, Architectural Historian, is the author of several books and articles, including George Keller, Architect, a “Biographical Dictionary of Hartford Architects,” and is co-editor of Structures and Styles: Guided Tours of Hartford Architecture.