Donations will be reviewed by the Archival Committee to determine if they are in keeping with the Society’s mission. Only those items that reflect and relate to that mission will be accepted. Acceptance of artifacts will be determined on an individual basis and the Society may choose not to accept items that it believes it cannot maintain in proper condition, are too large, or burden the Society’s limited storage capacity.
The Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford has the right to reject parts of a donation that either duplicate materials already in its collection, do not fit the collection guidelines, or cannot be stored in an appropriate archival environment. The Society may discard, donate, or sell portions or the entire donation at any time.
Please contact us before sending any material. If we agree to accept the collection or artifact, please fill out this form and return it to the office along with your donated material.
The Society’s first priority is the documentation of the history of the communities covered by the Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford. Artifacts from other areas may be accepted but should have some historical tie to Greater Hartford. Items must be relevant to the Jewish community of Greater Hartford; the relevance may be to a local organization, an individual, or any of the following examples of acceptable materials.
- Family histories
- Newspapers, magazines, books and news clippings specifically regarding activities and/or individuals
- Oral histories (tapes, videos, compact discs) and other recordings relating to local Jewish life
- Synagogue archives
- Photographs, especially with identifying information
- Yearbooks, menus from Jewish restaurants, ads from Jewish businesses, records of Jewish-owned businesses, etc.
- Letters, documents, and records of Jewish families, businesses, institutions and organizations
- Memorabilia, souvenirs, and ephemera relating to Jewish entertainment, social life, life cycle events, and community organizations
- Photographs and other media that reflect Jewish life and culture in the Greater Hartford community
- Scrapbooks will be accepted on a case by case basis. The Society reserves the right to dismantle and reproduce them.
As a rule, the Society will not accept the following:
- Personal ritual objects
- Art work
- Trophies, awards, plaques, etc., unless specifically agreed upon by the Director
- News clippings of meetings, routine thank you letters or notes
- Items unrelated to the geographic area served by the Society
Facilities and Staff
The following may use the facilities of the Society without a fee:
- Students (with valid I.D.)
- Society members
- Researchers working on projects in conjunction with the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford
Research requests may be sent to the Society via e-mail or mail. Due to staffing concerns, phone requests will be handled at the discretion of the Society.
The fee for all others shall be $15 per session (first half hour free) for use of the archives and staff assistance whether on-site, by mail, or telephone.
The following apply to both members and non-members:
- Copies: Copy fee is 15 cents/page.
- Photograph and Document Scanning: There will be a $15.00 per image fee for scanning documents or photographs.
- Reproductions: This fee will be decided on a case-by-case basis, based on professional reproduction charges, plus handling. Oral History recordings and transcripts can be made available in digital format, priced from $15 and up.
- Permission for Usage Fees: There will be a $25.00 charge per image used. Please print and fill out our three page permission for usage form and return it to us with payment. Links to each page of the form are here, here, and here.
All fees must be paid at the time of service. Please speak to a staff member prior to sending payment. Prices are subject to change without notice. Mail orders are subject to additional charges for shipping and handling.
Checks may be made payable to:Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford
333 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
P: (860) 727-6171