The Connecticut General Assembly passed a law in 1843 permitting public worship by Jews. Congregation Beth Israel was the first to establish a congregation (1843) in Hartford and built the first synagogue on Charter Oak Avenue in 1876.
1887 — 1993
Agudas Achim Synagogue
The East Side's second distinctively Eastern European Orthodox congregation, Agudas Achim Anshei Sefard, was established in October 1887. Organized by East Side Jews who had primarily come from Romania, Agudas Achim would be known for decades as the "Romanishe Shul” in the Hartford community.
1895 — 1955
Ateres Israel Synagogue
Ateres Israel, an Orthodox congregation, was organized in 1895 as Congregation Israel of Hartford. Little is known of its history until 1927, when a house at 30 Florence Street was purchased and altered to become a synagogue. In 1955 Ateres Israel merged with Israel of Koretz to form Ateres Kneset Israel. In 1962, a further merger of Ateres Kneset Israel with Beth Hamedrash Hagodol formed the United Synagogues of Hartford, which erected a new synagogue in West Hartford in 1967.
1897 — 1955
Kneset Israel Synagogue
Most members of this Orthodox congregation emigrated from Russia. When first organized in 1898, its name was Congregation Israel of Koretz (or Anshe Koretz) and it became known as the "Koretzer Synagogue". Beginning in 1913 the congregation worshiped in a building on Suffield Street acquired from the Baptists. They erected a synagogue on Enfield Street in 1946.
1898 — 1963
Ados Israel Synagogue
Ados Israel was the first European Orthodox congregation in Hartford. It was organized in 1885 by members of Congregation Beth Israel who objected to its more liberal trend. The first building was built in 1898 and for the next 65 years (until 1963) it remained a Hartford landmark. When it was razed to make room for urban renewal, the Ados Israel congregation relocated in the former Unitarian Church at 215 Pearl Street which it adapted to its use as a synagogue.
1908 — 1993
Beth Hamedrash Hagodol
Beth Hamedrash Hagodol was organized in 1908 and was located on Wooster Street. After merging with Shaarey Torah in 1921, it erected a new synagogue at 370 Garden Street in 1923.
Congregation B'nai Israel
Among several groups meeting at the Pleasant Street Talmud Torah, a small group of Orthodox immigrants met to organize a Conservative synagogue, B'nai Israel. This group, however, soon changed its name to form The Emanuel Synagogue.
1919 — 2013
The Emanuel Synagogue
In 1927, the edifice for The Emanuel Synagogue was built in a prominent North End location at the corner of Woodland and Greenfield Streets. The Emanuel was the largest synagogue in Hartford at the time that it was built, with a seating capacity of 1000.
1924 — 1983
Chevry Lomday Mishnayes
This building on Bedford Street in Hartford, constructed between 1924 and 1926, served as a home of worship for the Chevry Lomday Mishnayes congregation. This congregation is significant historically due to its organization by Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe and Russia.
1926 — 2013
In 1904, a group known as the Chevre Kadisha was organized. Their prime purpose was the proper preparation and burial of the deceased. In addition, this group, which consisted of 65 men and 54 women, also helped bereaved families. This group later merged with the Hebrew Sheltering Home. The function of the home was to offer shelter to immigrants. Later, merging again with a small congregation which held services at the Zion Hebrew Institute beginning in 1912, the congregation Teferes Israel officially was recorded in the Hartford register in 1926.
1927 — 1971
Bess Israel Shul
Residents in the northeast section of Hartford founded Bess Israel Synagogue, formally the Barbour Street Shul, in 1927. The congregation later moved to a building on Hebron Street and remained there until 1971, when it ceased having services.
1939 — 2013
Congregation Tikvoh Chadoshoh
Congregation Tikvoh Chadoshoh (New Hope) was organized by German refugees fleeing Hitler's persecution. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s, its membership consisted of these refugees, and, later, included Holocaust survivors who settled in Hartford.
1942 — 2013
Young Israel of Hartford
In 1935, a new Orthodox congregation, the Young Israel of Hartford, which wished to attract more of the young couples within the local Orthodox community, began meeting in the vestry hall of Agudas Achim. In 1943, after a dispute with the older leadership of Agudas Achim, they purchased their own synagogue building, and in 1963 built a new sanctuary at 339 Blue Hills Avenue. Six years later, a West Hartford "branch" of Young Israel, to which many young professionals within the Orthodox community would belong during the 1970s and 1980s, was opened at 2240 Albany Avenue.
1955 — 2013
Beth Hillel, a Conservative synagogue founded in 1952, was first called the Bloomfield Jewish Community Center. In 1955 it adopted the name Beth Hillel and erected a new building at 1095 Blue Hills Avenue in Bloomfield. In 1967, a new synagogue and school were built at 160 Wintonbury Avenue. On July 14, 1969 Beth Hillel merged with Beth Sholom of 209 Cornwall Street in Hartford, led by Rabbi Philip Lazowski.
1967 — 2013
United Synagogues of Greater Hartford
The east side immigrant Congregation Ateres Israel, organized in 1895, built synagogues on Florence Street in Hartford's north end in 1927 and on Enfield Street in 1947. In 1955, it merged with the Koretzer Synagogue, located on the east side, under the new name of Ateres Knesseth Israel Congregation. In 1962, it merged with Shaarey Torah Beth Hamedrash Hagodol and was renamed the United Synagogues of Hartford. The United Synagogues built a new synagogue and school at 740 North Main Street West Hartford in 1967, under the rabbinic leadership of Rabbi Isaac Avigdor.
Click below to see map of Hartford, CT and the Greater Hartford area.