Rabbi Isaac HurewitzRead More →

1868 – 1935
Born: Kovno, Russia
Served: Adas Israel, Agudas Achim, and Beth Hamedrash Hagadol

Rabbi Isaac Hurewitz was born in Kovno, Russia on Oct. 9, 1868, the son of Joseph Dov and Beila Hurewitz, and studied at the Yeshivot of Volozin and Slabotka. In 1892, he received his s’miha (rabbinical ordination) from the world renowned scholar, Yitzhok Elhanan Spector of Kovno. He came to Hartford in 1893 and, in his long ministry of over 40 years, served the following congregations: Adas Israel, Agudas Achim, and Beth Hamedrash Hagodol (Garden Street Synagogue). In 1905, he was the editor of the biweekly, Yiddishe Shtimme (the Jewish Voice), which became a monthly publication in 1908.

A recognized Talmudic scholar, Rabbi Hurewitz was the author of the book Sefer Ha-mitzvot which was published in Jerusalem in 1926. Rabbi Hurewitz was the first Eastern European Orthodox rabbi in Hartford and was instrumental in establishing its Jewish charitable and educational institutions. He was a charter board member of the United Jewish Charities in 1912 and of Mt. Sinai Hospital in 1923.

Hurewitz died Dec. 30, 1935 and was survived by his widow, Chana Hurewitz; sons, Dr. Herman M., Atty. Joseph, Aaron, Jacob (professor at Columbia Univ.), and Samuel M.; and daughters, Bessie Sheketov, Rebecca Feldman, Anna Goldstein, Rae Ganz, Freda Jacobson, and Rose Zelzer. His first wife, Ida Aaronson Hurewitz, died in March 1932.