header

Congregation Agudas Achim (1887 - present)

Table of Contents

Summary Information
Administrative Information
Collection Inventory
Series I: Anniversaries -- Board of Directors
Series II: Board of Directors -- Buildings
Series III: Cemetery -- Newspaper Clippings
Series IV: Publicity -- Youth Groups
Series V: Newsletters, "The Announcer"
Photo Series
Board of Directors / Minutes (?) ca. 1938 - 1943 (in Yiddish)
Scrapbook, religious education materials [related also to Yeshiva University]

Summary Information

Repository
Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford
Title
Congregation Agudas Achim (1887 - present)
ID
Synagogue.0010.003.007a
Date [inclusive]
1887-2000s
Extent
4.0 Cubic feet
Language
English
Biographical/Historical
Congregation Agudas Achim Anshe Sfard was founded in 1887 to provide the members, primarily immigrants from Romania, with the "minhag Sefard." It was also known as the Romanische Shul. A group of Russian members broke off in 1906 to form Tifereth Israel Anshe Russian (eventually known as Teferes Israel). Agudas Achim's earliest rabbi was Isaac Hurewitz who served from the time of his arrival in Hartford in 1893 until his death in 1935. (Rabbi Hurewitz concurrently served other congregations as well.) During the early years, the majority of the congregation was living on very small incomes and met in the homes of members. In 1900, however, with increased prosperity the congregation was able to acquire a lot with a house on it at 296 Market Street. In 1902 or 1903, it built a synagogue at the rear of the house. In 1928, responding to the population shift to the north, the congregation moved into its newly constructed synagogue at 221 Greenfield Street. A major addition for a school and auditorium was completed in 1956. Then in response to the population shift to the west, Agudas Achim moved into its current synagogue in West Hartford in 1969 (ground was broken in October of 1967). Another important figure in the history of Agudas Achim is Rabbi Abraham AvRutick who led there for 36 years, beginning in 1946, and was given life tenure. Among his achievements was his election to the presidency of the Rabbinical Council of America in 1962. Along with the move to the suburbs, the appointment of Rabbi AvRutick represents the continuing evolution of the congregation from a very traditional East European group to an American orthodox community. During the 1990s, Agudas Achim, like many synagogues, experienced a decline in membership. As the congregation dwindled and aged, its future was in question. Since the arrival of Rabbi Schlomo Yaffe in 2001 membership increased especially among young families, and Agudas Achim began to experiment with innovations in tradition, ritual, and education.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records, newspaper clippings, newsletters, photographs, and other materials relating to the congregation.

Return to Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Publication Information
Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford

333 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT, 06117
860-727-6171
ekafer@jewishhartford.org

Return to Table of Contents


Collection Inventory

Series I: Anniversaries -- Board of Directors
Anniversaries / Greenfield St. Building 25th Anniversary (1954)
Anniversaries / Congregation's 75th Anniversary (1962)
Anniversaries / Rabbi AvRutick's 25th Anniversary with Congregation (1971)
Anniversaries / N. Main St. Building 10th Anniversary (1979)
Anniversaries / Rabbi AvRutick's 35th Anniversary with Congregation (1981)
Anniversaries / Rabbi AvRutick's 35th Anniversary with Congregation (1981)
Anniversaries / Congregation's 100th Anniversary (1987)
Anniversaries / Congregation's 100th Anniversary (1987)
Anniversaries / N. Main St. Building 25th Anniversary (1994)
Board of Directors / Discipline of Congregants
Board of Directors / Members
Board of Directors / Minutes, Oct.1928 - Oct. 1929
Anniversaries, Misc.

Return to Table of Contents


Series II: Board of Directors -- Buildings
Board of Directors / Weinberg - Pessin - Wachtel Dispute, 1939 - 1940
Brotherhood
Buildings / 296 Market Street
Buildings / 221 Greenfield Street (1928)
Buildings / 225 Greenfield Street (1956) - School and Auditorium
Buildings / 219 Ridgefield Street - Rabbi's House (owned by congregation)
Buildings / 1244 N. Main Street - Butler House
Buildings / 1244 N. Main Street - Dedication, 1969
Buildings / 1244 N. Main Street - Dedication, 1969
Buildings / 1244 N. Main Street - Fund Raising Campaign
Buildings / 1244 N. Main Street - Ground Breaking & Construction
Buildings / 1244 N. Main Street - Planning

Return to Table of Contents


Series III: Cemetery -- Newspaper Clippings
Cemetery and Burial
Charitable Activities
Conferences
Constitution and By-Laws
Education / Adult Education
Education / AvRutick Memorial Lecture Series
Education / Chevra Mishnayos
Education / Miscellaneous
Education / School Activities
Education / School Activities / Graduation and Confirmation
Education / Zachs Memorial Lecture Series
Education / See also the Hartford Institute for Jewish Studies Collection
Financial Information
Fundraising (Including Perpetual Endowment Fund)
Generation Unto Generation booklet
Interfaith Activities
Invitations, Misc.
Members and Membership
Merger Proposals
Miscellaneous
Music, Choir, Cantorial Programs
Newsletters
Newspaper Articles

Return to Table of Contents


Series IV: Publicity -- Youth Groups
Publicity
Rabbis / AvRutick, Abraham and Frances
Rabbis / Berkowitz, Joshua
Rabbis / Kaye, Eric N.
Rabbis / Miscellaneous
Rabbis / Spotler, Reuven
Rabbis /Yaffe, Schlomo
Ritual Matters and Shabbat Events
Sisterhood
Sisterhood / Minutes, Jan. 1937 - May, 1940
Social Club (Double A and Mr. and Mrs. Club) / Dances
Social Club (Double A and Mr. and Mrs. Club) / Fund Raising
Social Clubs, general (inc. Men's Club)
Social Club (Double A and Mr. and Mrs. Club) / Membership List 1946 - 49
Social Club (Double A and Mr. and Mrs. Club) / Minutes, 1950 - 1952
Social Club (Double A and Mr. and Mrs. Club) / Miscellaneous
Social Club (Double A and Mr. and Mrs. Club) / Musical Revues and Shows
Social Events
Soviet Jews, New Americans
Staff Members / Miscellaneous
Sunday Morning Breakfast Series
Youth Groups
Yizkor Memorial Booklets

Return to Table of Contents


Series V: Newsletters, "The Announcer"
Newsletters, 1960's - 2005

Return to Table of Contents


Photo Series
Anniversaries/Greenfield St. building/25th, 1954
Board of Directors
Brotherhood
Buildings/221 Greenfield Street
Buildings/221 Greenfield Street/School and Auditorium
Buildings/1244 North Main Street
Buildings/1244 North Main Street/Butler House
Buildings/1244 North Main Street/Dedication, 1969
Buildings/1244 North Main Street/fundraising Campaign
Buildings/1244 North Main Street/groundbreaking and Construction,
Buildings/1244 North Main Street/temporary Headquarters
Chevra Mishnayos
Education/Chevra Mishnayos
Fundraising
Education/School Activities
Habonem Club
Members and Membership/empty folder, 8/9/2005
Music, Choir, and Cantorial
Rabbis
Rabbis/Avrutick, Abraham/35th anniversary with congregation, 1981
Ritual Matters and Shabbat events
Sisterhood
Social Club
Sports
Staff/ ritual Director, Rev. e. Rubenstien, Shamos
Youth Groups

Return to Table of Contents


Board of Directors / Minutes (?) ca. 1938 - 1943 (in Yiddish)

Return to Table of Contents


Scrapbook, religious education materials [related also to Yeshiva University]

Return to Table of Contents


logotoolbar